“school is out and it’s a sort of a buzz
a back then I didn’t really know what it was
but now I see what have of this
the way that people respond to summer madness
the weather is hot and girls are dressing less
and checking out the fellas to tell ’em who’s best”
Spring is in the air, and that means one thing to me…summer is not too far behind. Personally, summer has always been my favorite time of the year. Like many people, I love the beach and ocean. I love to be outside when it’s warm. I love to swim, wear shorts, sleep with the windows open, etc… OK, before this starts sounding like a cheesy biography (I just re-read what I wrote…it already does,) I do have a point. Summer is the time when most people like being outside doing summer things. Wearing fewer clothes than normal and having opportunities to bear their bodies to the public. I asked this question a month or so ago and I ask it again…are you ready?
You see, there is less than 10 weeks until Memorial Day, the start of summer for many. Others will say that their summer doesn’t start until June or July. Fair enough. Summer can start anytime you want it to. What cannot wait however is getting going on your body sculpting routine. Whatever your goals may be, you best get going now. If you have not figured this out yet, it takes time to get fat off your body. It takes even more time to add muscle. Is 10 weeks enough? I would have to say it might not be for many people. We all lose and gain at different rates. I have never had two people lose weight or gain muscle at exactly the same rate or same way for that matter. 10 weeks might seem like a long time to some people out there, but it is not. I know enough to know that most people don’t start seeing any real changes until week 5. That means if you start today, you will start to see changes at the half waypoint. 5 weeks later, you will have to be ready. Even then, you will have to keep working to continue to make progress for June, July and if you are lucky enough to still have some summer fun, into August. So what now? If you are that person that has not started yet, or has not gotten serious with their routine, are you doomed? Not at all. You still can make some great gains (or losses) on your body if you get serious now and get going…now! Here are some tips for getting your body where you want it to be for the summer:
- Diet – Get control of it NOW. This is probably the most important aspect of your plan.
- Raise your metabolism – Eat 6 small meals a day.
- Get enough high quality protein. It is recommended that you have .8-1.0 grams of protein for each pound of body weight. Make sure you are getting your protein.
- Time your carbohydrates the right way. Only eat complex carbs immediately after you workout. The rest of your carbs should come from vegetable sources only.
- Plan your meals out ahead of time. Most diets fail because people are not prepared. Buy, plan, prepare everything ahead of time so you are not stuck eating things you know you cannot have.
- Strength Training – If you are serious about changing your body you MUST strength train. Whether it is with weights, resistance bands, or body weight, strength training is a huge key in weight loss and obviously muscle gain…There are two goals that most people want.
- Set up a routine of at least two strength-training sessions a week. At this point in the game, three or four might be better.
- Make sure your training sessions are full body sessions, meaning that you work your legs, hips, chest, back, shoulders and arms. You will gain more muscle and burn more fat doing this type of workout.
- Include HIIT sessions after each weight training sessions and on “off days” as well.
- Make sure each HIIT session is at least 10 min in length and no more than 15 minutes. If you are doing them right, you wont be able to do much more than 15 minutes anyway.
- For a better explanation of HIIT training, check out this blog article: https://kescott45.wordpress.com/2006/08/28/hiit-high-intensity-interval-training-explained/
- Schedule your training sessions or workouts ahead of time and stick with your schedule.
- Plan it and then schedule it! Write it down, tell someone, log it into your PDA or phone, but whatever you do, schedule it.
- Get ready to have the body you want for the summer.
- Save up some money so you can buy a bathing suit that is a few sizes smaller.
Summertime is right around the bend. Where will you be when it comes? Will you be on the beach or out by the pool showing off your new body, or will you be hiding inside ashamed that you didn’t do what it took?