Are you a doer or a watcher?
Years ago, my high school wrestling coach said something to us that I still remember and take to heart to this day… “You either doing or you are watching other people do.” I believe he was on to something when he told a bunch of exhausted, bloody, and hungry teenagers that wanted to do anything but run, train or wrestle at the time. Most of us got the point and although we would rather be home, sleeping, resting somehow or just watching TV, we gathered ourselves, and started working again…training. I work with people all of the time that are motivated to train or workout to reach various goals. They come in every single day, pump iron, run, sprint, and push themselves…they ‘do.’ I have teenage athletes that want to win, and need to be their best. They get it. They are doers.
Others will come up with every single excuse of why they cannot to train or workout. They are ‘sick’, or they are ‘too busy’, or ‘too tired.’ These people are ‘watchers.’ They watch other people do. Most of these people have good intensions, they really do want to get themselves going, they really do want to train and reach their goals, but something always comes up. Time ticks away, weeks and months go by and they are still watching others. I have written a lot about finding a trainer, coach or a system that works. I have written a lot about getting on a program that works. Although I believe that most people do need to find a coach or trainer and a quality program to help reach their athletic or fitness needs, most just need to start ‘doing.’ Get up, get to the gym and just start with something. Once you do this, the rest will follow. Don’t go through life being a watching, be a doer.
- Train or workout no matter what. Even when they feel sick or tired. Doer’s find a way to get the job done
- Make work or training a part of their life and not something they do when they only have time. They make time. Training and working out is scheduled and that schedule is kept!
- Their fitness goals are just as important as paying the bills. These people wouldn’t skip a car payment and they wouldn’t skip a workout session.
- Find ways to always get out of work or training. They are too busy, too tired, or don’t feel good.
- Usually are jealous of ‘doers’ and will always find a way to put them down. They will call the doer’s all kinds of names and make all kinds of statements… “How come you eat so healthy? You have to enjoy life…pass the cheese fries!” “Why cant you come out with us tonight, what do you have to workout again?”
- Think they are doers, but don’t have the time right now to ‘do’, they will get to it later. These people will read this and think they are the doers, but haven’t “done” anything in weeks because of numerous excuses.
“There are two kinds of people in this World…people who ‘do’ and people who watch other people do!”
He followed that statement with an equally powerful statement… “Not many people have the courage or commitment to train or ‘do’ what you guys do everyday, that’s why there are so many bleachers out there in the gym… for those people to ‘watch you do’, and only one small wrestling mat here for you guys, the doers.” Think about that…and then go and ‘do’ – today.