If you like to run, than you need to enroll in ankle school
What is ankle school you ask?
Nothing more than performing a series of ankle exercises that will ensure long term health and well being for your ankles.
Running can wreak havoc on your feet and ankles. For some, just going for a jog a few times a week can cause severe pain and swelling of the surrounding tissues.
Why does this happen? Many reasons, but here is a list of the more prevalent casues:
- Poor foot wear, lack of support
- Poor running mechanics
- Weak surrounding musculature
- Uneven and poor running surfaces
- Pillow Alphabets – Find a semi-rigid pillow or cushion and place it on the floor. Place one foot on the pillow and the other in the air. Balance yourself on the one foot, using the wall in front of you for support, if needed. Using the front of your foot for a guide push your foot into the pillow while tracing the letters of the alphabet. Make an ‘A’ with your foot, a ‘B’, a ‘C’, and so on until you get to Z. Push as hard as you can into the pillow. Perform 3 or 4 full alphabets for each foot. If you are doing these correctly, you will feel it in your ankle. Kind of like the “pump” you get when lifting weights, but in your ankle and lower leg.
- Ankle Raises with a hold – Standing on one foot with the other foot hooked around the supported foot, raise your heel high into the air while placing all your weight on your toes. Once you are “up”, hold for a count of 2. Come back down slowly and repeat. Perform 15-20 repetitions. Alternate feet and perform 3-4 sets each foot.
- Jumps in place – On one foot, hop in the air over and over, like you are bouncing. Just a few inches will do, and hop as quickly as you can. Hop 20 times in a row and then switch feet. Once you are able to perform 3 sets of hops on each foot, try the same exercise, but this time hop side to side. Do the same reps and sets for these as well.
- Toe Curls – Find a pillow case or towel and lay it out on the surface of your floor. While seated, place your bare foot on the pillow case or towel, and curl you toes in, gripping the fabric each time you curl. Continue to curl the pillow case or towel until it is totally bunched up and under your foot. You should feel this in the bottom of your feet (arches) if you are doing it correctly. When you are finished, straighten out the towel and start again. Perform 5 reps on each foot.
This workout should take you no more than 10-15 min and will be well worth your time. Most people NEVER think about working the muscles around their feet and ankles until it’s too late. If you are a runner, besides having a good pair of running shoes, good mechanics and running on forgiving surfaces, the best thing you can go is get your ankles and feet strong. Sign yourself up for ankle school now and forget about having sore feet and swollen ankles for now on.